Sunday, March 25, 2007

Choices in our lives: White or Wheat?

So I walked to Fred's today. I just bought simple things like food and snacks. It took me forever to decide between white and wheat bread...I've never bought bread before.

The absolute strangest thing in my life occured on the way back. If you can imagine, I'm a little sweaty from the walk and my hair was unbrushed. I was wearing a pair of black capris with a black and white Dir en grey tee shirt. My flip flops are bright pink. Imagine how I must have looked.

I see someone walk in my direction, but I just keep walking with my grocery bag. He shouted out at me, an African American man wearing a tan "Chicago" jersey. I froze.

"Hey, girl, whas yo name?"
"...Pardon me?"
"My name's (I forgot), whas yo name?"
"...Joy."
"Are you married?" (referring to the silver ring on my left hand, which I really only wear there because that's the only finger it fits on.)
"No..."
"You gotta phone number or somethin I could hit u up at?"
"...actually, I'm sorry, but I have a boyfriend."
"Aw, I'm sorry, girl, have a good day."
"You, too..."
and I walked away.

It was the first, and possibly the final time anyone has/will ever ask me for my phone number simply out of the blue. Strange people.

No comments: